Tom Ostrom - Creative Director/Writer
I've been earning a living one way or another as a marketer since 1984. That’s when I started by making ads for my college newspaper the Gustavian Weekly. I had a stat camera, a machine that spat out camera-ready headlines and a waxer. I still miss that waxer. I’ve always loved making ads from scratch. Granted, not everybody needs an ad. Especially now. I would, however, contend that if you can make a great ad you understand what really matters and that’s clear communication.
Here's a snapshot of my career:
Arnold/Ostrom Advertising, Minneapolis 2000 - Present
I lived every ad guy's dream. I made a move from the account side to run the creative department and my name went on the door. We changed a lot more than just the logo.
• Grew into a strong strategy, writing-based Creative Director. Old School.
• Helped define the agency’s focus: more ads and media planning.
• In a food and medical town, A/O differentiated itself by focusing on building products
• Spearheaded new business pitches, created strategic plans.
• Worked on Andersen, Marvin, Stanley Doors, Fabcon and others.
The Arnold Group, Minneapolis 1992- 2000
Landed a job as an Account Executive. The agency was looking specifically for someone to manage Federal Ammunition and Yamaha Snowmobiles.
• I leveraged those accounts and built a business unit.
• Added Gander Mountain, Cummins and other "guy brands".
• Lots and lots of collateral, dealer materials and P.O.P.
• Eventually got my hands on the creative reins and never let go.
• Helped take the business to from $2 million to $11 Million.
Business Incentives (BI), Minneapolis 1989-1992
My first job. I was an account guy learning the business.
• Responsible for managing timelines, budgets and client expectations.
• Built a marketing foundation with exposure to print, video, incentives.
• Worked on huge brands like Epson, Guinness and Sherwin Williams.
- Strategic Facilitation
- Brand Development
- Brand Communication Planning
- Advertising & Awareness Strategies
- Promotional Literature Design
- Web Development